Skip to main content

Migraines used to be a pain in my neck, until I discovered Biofreeze - SFGate

Any migraineur could tell you that there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" migraine. According to the American Migraine Foundation, one billion individuals worldwide suffer from the affliction, and I'd bet money that the triggers and symptoms vary wildly for each of those billion people.

Personally, I've been getting chronic migraine headaches for over 40 years. They run in my family; my relatives pass down neurological conditions the way other families hand down fine china. One of the things I've noticed as I've aged is that my symptoms have evolved over time. As a child, I'd have all of the classic signs, including nausea and vomiting. Now, I don't have any stomach issues related to migraines, but my neck turns into a hard rock the moment that the headache begins. It's nearly impossible for me to turn my head, and the pain in my neck only makes the migraine worse, which then makes the neck pain worse, and soon it becomes a vicious cycle.

Biofreeze Foam

Biofreeze Foam, Relief, Fast Drying, Lightweight, and Powerful Topical Pain Reliever

Biofreeze Foam, Relief, Fast Drying, Lightweight, and Powerful Topical Pain Reliever

Biofreeze

amazon.com

$11.99

Biofreeze Professional Roll-On Pain Relief Gel

Biofreeze Professional Pain Relief Roll-On

Biofreeze Professional Pain Relief Roll-On

Biofreeze

amazon.com

$13.65

A few months ago, someone in a Facebook group for migraineurs mentioned that she doesn't leave the house without Biofreeze. I'd never heard of it. It sounded like some weird contraption from a science fiction movie. But I did a quick search and discovered that it's a decades-old brand that uses menthol to block the pain signal from the spine to the brain.

It sounded very similar to Icy Hot, a product I'd used (unsuccessfully) many times for migraine-related neck pain, so I doubted Biofreeze would do much to help. But I was willing to try anything, so I went to my local pharmacy and found that not only did they have the product in stock, but it's available in nearly every possible formula: foam, gel, roll-on, spray, cream, and patch. There are even individually wrapped gel packs if you need to toss a few in your purse or briefcase.

Because I was in the throes of a migraine while at the store and was desperate for relief, I grabbed the gel, cream, and roll-on options and hoped at least one of them would work. As soon as I got home, I applied the gel along my stiff neck.

Within minutes, my neck was pain-free. The sensation was like applying an icy cloth to my skin, but it didn't come with the overpowering scent of Icy Hot. It also lasted significantly longer; with Icy Hot, I'd have to reapply after 30 minutes, whereas with Biofreeze I remained pain-free for hours without needing to add more gel.

Of the various product options, the Biofreeze cream is my favorite. It seems to work better and last longer than the gel. When I'm trying not to make as much of a mess, I'll use the roll-on, which keeps the product from getting all over my fingers.

It states clearly on the product labels (and on WebMD) to not use any heat-producing products with Biofreeze. So, I can't wrap a heating pad around my neck after I've slathered on the cream. But that's okay—I've found that I haven't needed the heating products as much; Biofreeze reduces the pain in my neck, which allows my prescription pain med to kick in and work its magic on the headache. (As always, if you're unsure if a product is right for you, read the label, research drug interactions, and talk to your doctor.)

Biofreeze has helped decrease the neck stiffness that contributed to my pain, and it's now another important part of my migraine-fighting toolbox.

Sandra Ebejer lives in upstate New York with her husband, son, and two cats who haven't figured out how to get along. Her work has been published in The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, Writer's Digest, Shondaland, and others. Read more at sandraebejer.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mpox - Vancouver